November 13, 2011

Project: Finger Stitching

WARNING: Not for those with weak stomachs!

So today has not been my day at all. As I type this, I am still feeling the pains of a very valuable lesson in sewing. Lesson: Sewing machine needles pass much easier through fabric than fingers. Turns out there's a lot less blood with fabric, too.

From the first time I started using my sewing machine I'd always been told, "Don't get your finger caught under the needle," much in the same fashion as A Christmas Story's young Ralphie was warned, "You'll shoot your eye out!"

Well, just as Ralphie did, in fact, shoot the lens out of his boyish glasses, I attempted to make the tip of my finger a permanent part of Baby C's quilt. The result was bloody and rendered many tears. It also left my needle in four pieces. Like the JFK "Magic Bullet" theory, I'm still trying to figure out exactly how and where the needle went in and out. My best guess is it entered at the top of my fingertip, went all the way through to break my fingernail and then when I pulled away is when it ripped.

This was definitely a time I could/should use these vulgar little bandages I bought at Urban Outfitters a couple years ago. But sadly, I decided to go for the old fashioned ones.

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

It looks much worse than this in real life.
Ouch!
Broke my fingernail from the inside! And I just painted my nails last night!
My poor needle was a casualty.

1 comment :

  1. Sheila, thanks for the note on my blog. I would love it if you would send a block or two with your Mom. You are so sweet. Also, I can't believe these pics of your finger. I've often wondered if you sew your finger if it makes a knot with the bobbin thread or not? Guess not, huh? Stay safe girl! Oh, and send me an email so I can give you my address. val dot campbell dot 4320@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Pinterest button